Sunday, October 19, 2008

Meeting John Waters

Taken September 21, 2006 at the Carolina Theatre in Greensboro, North Carolina. JW looks dapper (as always) after spending two solid hours discussing his life, career, films and other topics of interest on stage. Waters once had actor Steve Buscemi pose for his annual Christmas Card mailing as "John Waters," but I think a receding hairline that has revealed an incredibly elongated forehead puts him more into looking like a sinister Don Knotts. He also looks oh so tiny next to the lumbering mass o' moi in this photo. If I look worse for wear, it is because I had taught a middle school English class all day before making the drive into downtown G'boro for the event. Not caught by the camera is my freshly signed first edition of Waters' book of essays, Shock Value, which I discovered eons ago at a used bookstore near Mims, Florida. My love of Waters isn't driven by his legendary film career, but rather from his writing (go figure) ... an oddity that I equate with my love of the music of The Monkees, but indifference to the television show. I think both have to do with how I discovered both Waters and Papa Nez, Davy, Peter and Micky - Waters via his first book (before seeing any of the movies), and the pre-fab four via their albums (after having dismissed the series as a kid).

No comments: