Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Art of the Title


Discovered while researching Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, this is my favorite new web destination. However, Mockingbird is only the beginning. A plethora of opening title sequences to a vast array of both television shows and films are analyzed here (from Deadwood to 300 to The Incredibles to Repo Man), along with the ability to play the credits sequences directly from the site!

Truly a place on the web in which one can become lost and spend hours.
Don't say I didn't warn you ....

2 comments:

Ashley Holt said...

A cool idea - but a little too modern for me. I was hoping for more Saul Bass.

I always dug the opening of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's the rest of the movie that irks me. Atticus Finch letting rednecks spit in his face makes me wanna watch Buford Pusser. And here's the good, liberal lawyer, who defends a man's right to a fair trial, conspiring to hush up Boo Radley's homocidal tendencies (I had a similar problem with the ending of the Dark Knight movie). It's enough to make me vote Republican, I tell ya!

POP CULTURE DEBRIS said...

Yes, some of the choices are ... odd (to say the least) on that site, but it still has enough title sequences of quality to keep a person interested if they dig around enough. In particular, check out the ones for Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Catch Me If You Can.

Admittedly, not having Anatomy of a Murder up is a serious Bass oversight.

I wonder if there is a website devoted just to Bass out there? Surely there must be!

I love me some Walking Tall as much as the next drive-in movie guru ... Joe Don Baker was never more effective and sweaty as Buford. Avoid the sequels with Bo Svenson - they just don't have the gritty power of the original and Svenson comes off as too genteel as Pusser for my tastes.

Closing thought: If they ever dare film an update of Mockingbird, I wonder if they'll cast The Rock as Atticus? Can you smell what the Rock is cooking rednecks? Hey, it could happen ... he's already serving in the Eddie Albert mentor role in the upcoming Disney Witch Mountain remake!